Thursday, June 14, 2007

Breaking Through The Ceiling

In examining my retirement goals, and running the numbers, one thing strikes me as really interesting.

The larger the amount of your money invested in the market, the easier it is to rapidly accumulate wealth through compounding and interest rates.

If you invested $6K a year into your 401K, and earned an average of 10% on it, it would take you 15.4 years to earn your first $200K, yet it would take you only another 6 years after that to earn your next $200K.

The lesson from this is striking: If you can find a way to break through the difficulty of accumulating that first $200K, you can set yourself up to the point where your ability to rapidly accumulate wealth benefits exponentially.

This is what I am trying to do: I am trying to find every possible way I can to accumulate "investing fodder" to break through that ceiling. From saving money to bouncing my money around internet savings accounts. Right now, my wife and I have $57K in the market (entirely in 401Ks), my goal is to try to increase that to $200K in the next couple of years.

No comments: